Sunday 12 May 2024

  Finishing the Trans Canada Highway!

Day 3  Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island to Baddeck, Nova Scotia 307km


Another wet ... very ...day dawned!

Not too far to ride initially, only 53 km to Wood Islands Ferry Terminal to get the ferry across to Caribou in Nova Scotia.

I arrived at the ferry check-in nearly 3 hours early as I had been reluctant to stop on such a short journey and go through palaver of taking all my gear off.. lovely and warm on bike with it on.. sauna like if sitting inside  in it.

 The ladies in the Check-in cabin told me there were no hot drinks in the main terminal as it was too early in the season for the restaurant to be openbut I could ride down to Murray Harbour 15 minutes away to a cafe there.. . based on situation described in previous paragraph I decided that I'd rather forego hot drink and just go for a dry sit down.

In the Terminal 2 more ladies were sitting around waiting... one, the Terminal Manager, for customers and the other, the Loading Supervisor for someone or something to load. So we sat and talked and during conversation my lack of coffe came up.. "no problem" says Kelly, the loading Supervisor "I've got some" - and off she went amd made me a cup. That's the wonder of travelling - you meet people that refresh your belief in human nature.


The ferry was much bigger than I'd anticipated but, at this time of year only a few local souls, trucks - and the odd motorcyclist - me - using it.


The crossing was  unaventful but as the bow doors opened I had a glimmer of what Noah must have felt like on a bad day ... it was bucketting it down ..and this time 245km to Baddeck.

Didnt see much on this ride ... I don't use my visor... cant see through it when wet ... and my glasses were either dripping with rain or clouded with condensation ... but  I did notice the bright neon lights on Cannabis Stores glittering through the murk in some small towns offering marijuana - its been legal here since 2018 - oh so tempting!

Pleased to have arrived at Telegraph House in Baddeck.

 .. the room at Telegraph House was so warm and spacious.

Talking of  Telegraph House ... look up the history of this place... under 5th generation ownership it is seeped in communications history..

Was recommended to eat ot the Freight Shed... far better than it sounds - great fish and chips ... and of course local beer. 

Cheers ... and goodnight!



No comments:

Post a Comment